|In 1939, the RosaMary Foundation was established under the laws of Louisiana as a Charitable Trust. Alfred B. Freeman established the Foundation, which was one of the early family foundations to operate in the United States, and it was especially early for the New Orleans area. The name of the Foundation honors his daughters, Rosa (the younger) and Mary (the elder).
Additionally, funds were received from the estate of Ella West Freeman, wife of A. B. Freeman, when she died a few years following the founding of the RosaMary Foundation. The original trustees were Freeman family members, some of whom resigned because of wartime duties. Following the war, they resumed their duties as trustees. Today, the trustees are descendants of A. B. and Ella West Freeman.